Saturday, January 14, 2012

Will I be Able to get into Duke College?

Will I be able to get into Duke University?

Pretty straight-forward question, I'll give you some background to help make answering it easier for you.



Grade: 11 (Junior)

Ethnicity: African-American

Location: Canada

School: Have gone to the same school for grades 10-12, one of the top public HS in Canada.



Okay, I'll list some of my achievements, work experience, activities, etc:



-Honour Society Member (Almost 100% chance of being an Honour Society Scholar following Grade 12 Year)

-IB Certificate Student (Biology SL, Math SL, Chemistry HL, French HL)

-93% overall average (we don't get GPAs here, but I only have one mark below a 90% since entering high school)

- Junior Varsity Football in Grades 10 and 11

- Club (Kind of like AAU in the States) basketball since about Grade 7.

- Royal Canadian Air Cadets (Corporal Rank)

- Class Rank is also not available as it isn't done here, if it were I'd certainly be top 10%.

- Active member of Canadian-African Cultural Association

- Children's Bible Study Leader at Church

- Vacation Bible School Organizer

- A little bit of debate, not a significant amount at all.

- Volunteer at Community Recreation Center (6 hours a week)

- Referee Community Basketball Games (3 hours a week, Saturdays only)



That's kind of off the top of my head, I don't have a current resume handy to be more specific and state everything that I've done. As you can see I did not list any ACT or SAT scores because I haven't completed either of them yet (did take the PSAT in Grade 9). Based on practice examinations that I've done, I'm expecting to do very well on them. I do realize that this won't allow you to make a completely accurate judgment on the likelihood of me being accepted to Duke.



One last note: I'm expecting to score 7s (perfect) on my IB exams.



I've wanted to go to Duke for as long as I can remember and really want to know if I've done what it takes to get there.Will I be Able to get into Duke College?
I know at least three people who attend Duke, brothers who play on the basketball team. They are very smart and qualified, just as you seem to be. Your credentials are very good, I commend you! It sounds like you've got a good shot at getting into Duke. But I agree, it's a great idea to take a trip there and talk to admissions. All the best luck to you!Will I be Able to get into Duke College?
I urge you to visit duke. The school just has this weird overly-academic vibe. I spend a lot of time in Durham, and Duke is just strange and sort of hostile. Talk to some of the students (all of whom, are asian...)

No comments:

Post a Comment