Saturday, January 14, 2012

Will I get into the University of Chicago?

I am going to be a Senior in high school. I am currently in th top 10% of my class.My GPA is only 4.2, and i got a 31 on my ACT (although I plan to take it again; I can probably score 33-34).

My numbers aren't the greatest, but that's because I've taken a LOT of honors/AP classes. Not to mention my extracurricular activities.



I am a Peer Leader (we help freshman get adjusted to life in high school). I am Senior Physical Education Leader (we help out freshmen PE teachers throughout the year). I am the President of the Muslim Student Association and the National Honor Society. I am on our school's Principal's Student Advisory Board. I am on the School District Board of Education; I serve as a Student Liaison, although I am not permitted to vote. I am on the Superintendent's Student Advisory Board (we help make decisions pertaining to student life throughout the districts high schools). I am part of my high school's Science, Math and Technology Academy; Outside of our regular classes, we spend part of our day with the rest of our "academy" in science, math and engineering-based classes. This academy has a Student Academy Council which I am the Vice President of.



I started my own Peer Tutor program, for Beginners in Spanish. I have also participated in Mathletes (Math Competitions), JETS (Junior Engineering Technical Society) and am a member of the Spanish Honor Society. I am going to Spain this summer as part of a School-Sponsored Trip (I will be going into my fourth year of Spanish).



I've also been on the Varsity Track team for 3 years as well as football. I played basketball for my first two years. I've received a lot of awards as well.



I am very active and busy. I am really hardworking and am up to the challenging curriculum of the University of Chicago. Math is my favorite subject, and I am hoping to get a degree in pure math and/or Physics.



I'm really sorry about the long question :)

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank You in advance!!!Will I get into the University of Chicago?
Look up the acceptances rates for majors. A lot of people don't realize that there are different acceptance rates based off of majors. The whole acceptance process begins with the bare requirements such as GPA (which you exceed), extracurricular activities, test scores (which you also exceed), essay, and major. I would be uneasy about applying for Business, Undeclared, or something really popular. If you really want to get in, I would choose an obscure major and then mention in your essay how your major will apply to your educational career.



Even though you definitely meet and exceed all of the requirements, I would DEFINITELY put most of your efforts into your essay. You should have multiple people edit and revise it, even get stylistic ideas from your favorite books. The essay will make or break your decision. Because a lot of people applying for that school can get the good grades and can get the good test scores, but the essay is the portion of the acceptance process where you have to prove yourself to the board of readers and prove that you belong to that school. I would even look online or purchase a book on past ivy league essays that have made it so you can get an idea of what kind of essay is differentWill I get into the University of Chicago?
If you do get in, you'll practically be my neighbor.



Well, I think you definitely have a shot, though of course it will help if you can get that ACT score up a little. Your activities are great, your GPA is fine. Bear in mind that U of C isn't big on sports, though they've been trying to encourage students to be more "well-rounded" of late, so your sports activities could be useful.



I think you can be reasonably optimistic, though nothing is guaranteed.



As for essays mentioned by the previous poster: U of C tends to pose unusual and creative questions as essay topics. You say you're interested in math and physics as majors. You'll need some sharp writing skills for the U of C application.



Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment