Saturday, January 14, 2012

Will I be able to get into Duke University?

Pretty straight-forward question, I'll give you some background to help make answering it easier for you.



Grade: 11 (Junior)

Ethnicity: African-American

Location: Canada

School: Have gone to the same school for grades 10-12, one of the top public HS in Canada.



Okay, I'll list some of my achievements, work experience, activities, etc:



-Honour Society Member (Almost 100% chance of being an Honour Society Scholar following Grade 12 Year)

-IB Certificate Student (Biology SL, Math SL, Chemistry HL, French HL)

-93% overall average (we don't get GPAs here, but I only have one mark below a 90% since entering high school)

- Junior Varsity Football in Grades 10 and 11

- Club (Kind of like AAU in the States) basketball since about Grade 7.

- Royal Canadian Air Cadets (Corporal Rank)

- Class Rank is also not available as it isn't done here, if it were I'd certainly be top 10%.

- Active member of Canadian-African Cultural Association

- Children's Bible Study Leader at Church

- Vacation Bible School Organizer

- A little bit of debate, not a significant amount at all.

- Volunteer at Community Recreation Center (6 hours a week)

- Referee Community Basketball Games (3 hours a week, Saturdays only)



That's kind of off the top of my head, I don't have a current resume handy to be more specific and state everything that I've done. As you can see I did not list any ACT or SAT scores because I haven't completed either of them yet (did take the PSAT in Grade 9). Based on practice examinations that I've done, I'm expecting to do very well on them. I do realize that this won't allow you to make a completely accurate judgment on the likelihood of me being accepted to Duke.



One last note: I'm expecting to score 7s (perfect) on my IB exams.



I've wanted to go to Duke for as long as I can remember and really want to know if I've done what it takes to get there.Will I be able to get into Duke University?
Probably. You have a lot of achievements here. As long as you can write a good essay, I can see no reason you shouldn't get into Duke. And.... ok..... this sounds bad, and don't hate me, but it helps if you're a minority. It really does. I think you could get in on your own steam, but it does help to be African-American.

No comments:

Post a Comment