Saturday, January 14, 2012

Will I get into the University of Chicago?

I am going to be a Senior in high school. I am currently in th top 10% of my class.My GPA is only 4.2, and i got a 31 on my ACT (although I plan to take it again; I can probably score 33-34).

My numbers aren't the greatest, but that's because I've taken a LOT of honors/AP classes. Not to mention my extracurricular activities.



I am a Peer Leader (we help freshman get adjusted to life in high school). I am Senior Physical Education Leader (we help out freshmen PE teachers throughout the year). I am the President of the Muslim Student Association and the National Honor Society. I am on our school's Principal's Student Advisory Board. I am on the School District Board of Education; I serve as a Student Liaison, although I am not permitted to vote. I am on the Superintendent's Student Advisory Board (we help make decisions pertaining to student life throughout the districts high schools). I am part of my high school's Science, Math and Technology Academy; Outside of our regular classes, we spend part of our day with the rest of our "academy" in science, math and engineering-based classes. This academy has a Student Academy Council which I am the Vice President of.



I started my own Peer Tutor program, for Beginners in Spanish. I have also participated in Mathletes (Math Competitions), JETS (Junior Engineering Technical Society) and am a member of the Spanish Honor Society. I am going to Spain this summer as part of a School-Sponsored Trip (I will be going into my fourth year of Spanish).



I've also been on the Varsity Track team for 3 years as well as football. I played basketball for my first two years. I've received a lot of awards as well.



I am very active and busy. I am really hardworking and am up to the challenging curriculum of the University of Chicago. Math is my favorite subject, and I am hoping to get a degree in pure math and/or Physics.



I'm really sorry about the long question :)

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank You in advance!!!Will I get into the University of Chicago?
This is great! But you must understand that there are many more students like you. Your numbers are great for UChicago - so don't be discouraged. Try and get a 33 or a 34 and it will keep you in a competitive level.



Something that I noticed about UChicago is its weight on the application essays. It has some interesting (and some hard) topics which I believe change each application cycle. If you can craft some brilliant essays, you will have the edge to stand out from the rest of the applicant pool.



Since you have time, you should gather more facts and reasons for choosing UChicago (this is an application essay I think - please check).



Best advice I can give when applying to any selective school is to choose an aspect which makes you stand out and will be valuable to the UChicago community. If you can make sure that "special" aspect is constantly brought up in your application it will do wonders.



Remember, selective universities do not want Jacks of all trades. They want masters in specific ones!



Good Luck. Take SAT Subject Tests too.

No comments:

Post a Comment