Sunday, January 8, 2012

How should I handle dishonest auto repair?

I lost a drive belt and got the car towed to a Monro Muffler/Brake. They told me it would take 4 hours labor to do this. This means it would cost $400 minimum. Since the car is a 1995 Chevy Lumina and getting old I didn't know what to do. I felt 4 hours was too long for labor so I went somewhere else and got the work done for $70. I went back to Monroe since the battery was bad but only a year old and should be under warranty. I was told that I also need a starter and an alternator. I didn't feel I needed this work done and got the car running by replacing the battery and a cable as well at the other shop.





Monro saw me get my car towed in each time so they must have felt I was desperate for repair. Since I didn't feel I needed a starter and alternator I just didn't know what to say and I just said I will junk the car. The main boss was off this day and I dealt with two guys under age 30. They ended up wanted me to sell them this car for $100. I told them it should be worth more than this anyway and they didn't want to offer more.





This Monro tried to get me to buy parts that I didn't need and I just needed a battery and I told them that. I told them the cable was bad and they said it wasn't bad. I had to pay for a battery somewhere else that should have put in for free. They in turn try to get me to sell the whole car for only $100. I went to this Monroe since it was less than a mile walk for me to get home. Isn't this place trying to rip me off in so many ways? What should I do about how this auto repair shop was to me?|||Don't think there is much you can do. If the main boss guy was out that day, maybe you should give them a call and ask to speak with him about your experience. Perhaps he doesn't know his employees are trying to scam people who don't know any better. Maybe he does. If he does, well then you know not to deal with them, but if he doesn't, it might be beneficial to tell him something.





Trying to get you to sell them a car at a muffler and brake shop for 100 dollars (no offense intended) sounds like a crack deal. It's just Ridiculous.





hope this helps.|||In my state (MI) the best thing to do is contact the Secretary of State. They regulate transportation type businesses. Most important thing is to hold your ground and remember as a consumer you have allot of rights. You can also contact their franchise headquarters (Monroe) no body at the corporate level wants to hear complaints from customers and will usually come down on a store pretty heavy. Just have all your documentation handy. Good luck|||TALK TO THE OWNER.LET HIM HNOW WHAT HAPPEND,IF YOUR NOT SATISFIED ,PUT IN A REPORT THE BBB.|||1 write a letter to corporate head quarters


i did it with advance auto after they insisted my battery was bad and i knew it was alternator [gage read 10 volts duh] got free battery 70 dollars for my nice letter


2 no help,,talk to manager..be calm ohmmmmmm


3 forget it never go there again|||i,am going to tell you something.the monroe muffler in my town they are total jerks.they don,t know a radio from a steering wheel. some of these so called mechanics is the reason i do my own work. about all you can do is put their name in the paper for everyone to read and don,t go back there. they won,t like to see their name in the paper, it hurts business.

No comments:

Post a Comment